THE GALLOWAY ARMS HOTEL, NEWTON STEWART
54-58 Victoria Street, Newton Stewart. DG8 6DB | Telephone: 01671 402653 | E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
HOME | HOTEL ROOMS | RESTAURANT | GALLOWAY FOOD | GALLOWAY BARS | PRICE LIST | VISIT GALLOWAY
Welcome to the Original 1750 AD
(Beware of Imitations)
Welcome to the web site of the original Galloway Arms Hotel. The building was first started in 1750 by Alexander Lord Garlies, the 6th Earl of Galloway.
Further extensions were added by later Earls. In particular the front of the building on to Newton Stewart’s main street was added by his son John, the 7th Earl. See picture on this page.
“The Earl is not at home” in so simple a phrase was to start a dispute between John and Robert Burns. Perhaps making this hotel even more famous as the only hotel never to be on any Burns Trail. Rabbie, you were not welcome here.
The grandson of our founder however could have been the last Lord Galloway to own us. George 8th Earl amassed huge debts and was by Act of Parliament in 1824, forced to sell land in both Wigtownshire and the Stewartry of Kirkcudbright to pay no fewer than 388 local creditors. Fortunately no mention is made of the Galloway Arms.
However it was Randolph Stewart 12th Earl who reluctantly had to sell his hotel in 1929, so ending a 179 year association with this building, having been owned by no less than 6 Galloway Earls.
The Georgian Front of the 3* Galloway Arms Hotel is not the oldest part of the building but in fact the first extension on to what was becoming Newton Stewart’s Main Street.